Saturday, November 27, 2021

My Relationship with Technology

Introduction

Technology is what separates humans from other animals. It is what has propelled us to the top of the food chain and given us the power to conquer diseases like measles and polio. Over 3 million years ago, humanity’s ancestors (like the Australopithecus) began the rise to the top with the development of the first tools made merely of stone. It’s nearly impossible to comprehend the span of 2 million years which took place before the next advancement of fire was made, or even the 980,000 years it took after that to develop the wheel. 




Nowadays, we have the internet, supercomputers, and artificial intelligence. Unlike the prehistoric humans who came before us, most of the technology we use throughout the day isn’t necessary for our survival. 

Screens 

Time Spent in Front of Them

We are all aware of the constant presence of cell phones and computers in our daily lives. The average person spends about three and a half hours on the internet, and that’s not including computer usage. Even more time is spent streaming videos or watching TV. When I think about my relationship with technology, I know for sure that I spend way more than the average time in front of a screen. In fact, I spend less time away from screens than I do in front of them. However, I still hold this perception that it’s better for me to spend more time in front of a computer rant than on a phone. In some way, this seems to be a healthier thing to do.



How Healthy Is It?

I believe I think this way because of social media’s dominance over mobile devices. Although I don’t use Instagram or Facebook as much as I used to, I am well aware of their harmful effects on the human psyche (they cause increased anxiety and depression along with other things). When I’m on my phone, there’s always the temptation to scroll mindlessly through hundreds of posts; most of which hold little significance. If I do click on the famed application, I almost always feel as if I’ve wasted precious time which could have been spent doing something more productive. 

On the other hand, I never feel as guilty or ashamed when I use my computer or watch television. Both of these screens provide entertainment just like my phone, but their presence is more positive. I rarely go onto social media sites like the ones mentioned before. The only one I do visit often is YouTube. I’ve never thought about the video-sharing site as a social media platform (although it is social media), and this contributes to my more positive perception of it. I also see my computer as technology that allows me to be productive in school, so there are several rewards I gain from spending so much time on it. 



During a normal school week, I spend more time on my computer, so overall I would say I have a healthy-ish relationship with technology. I use technology every day to learn new things, fact-check and communicate with others. These are all things I’m grateful I can do, yet I could reduce my screen time. Instead, I could spend more time reading or doing other various hobbies. I know I will never be able to completely get away from screens (especially since I’m majoring in Game Design), but I think that’s alright. 

Everything in Moderation

I’m grateful for the internet, social media, and everything related because without it all that I love to do wouldn’t exist. Technology has connected our world in a way that was never anticipated. It has created various opportunities for growth and the exchange of ideas. As with anything, there are a number of cons that come with modern-day technology. Yet, I know that if we use it properly, and educate people on how to do so, we will be able to reap far more rewards that will outweigh the negatives. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Relationship with Technology

Introduction Technology is what separates humans from other animals. It is what has propelled us to the top of the food chain and given us ...